Monday, August 15, 2011

Team Bonding -- Playing a Simple Game (Not that simple for me)

Well, I've only been awake for a good few hours, but have already experienced trouble with my APD. First off, I should let you know that my field hockey team is very including! No one ever gets left out of things and everyone is like family. Anyways... At 9am this morning, we all went for a run. Where we live, we live by a lake. We went on a patio that looks out at the water and decided to play a game. Has anyone ever played the game Therapist?

This is how you play:
-It's where one person is the 'Therapist" and everyone else are the "Clients" so to speak. 
-While the "Therapist" is off away from everyone else, the clients make up one silly problem they all have.
-In this case, our problem was we were scared of the word "the". 
-The Therapist's job is to ask us questions like, "How does this problem make you feel?"
-When we called her over, she asked us questions and tried to guess what our silly problem is. 
BUT
-Every time she said "THE" we would all have to scream! 

--It was really hard for me to pick up when she said "THE". Sometimes I heard "they are", "this", "torn" and many other words. I would scream when I thought I was processing the word "the", but really it was something else. Sometimes I didn't even make sense of what she was saying and everyone else screamed, but me. I stopped screaming and only screamed when everyone else did -- so I was just going along with everyone else. 

---

So just a "simple" little game shows how my APD can affect me. I try concentrating so hard to understand one person talking..But even when I'm concentrating really hard, I still don't understand. I'm hearing lots of things..Birds chirping, dogs barking, the wind, boats going by, side conversations and giggles of my teammates, and last by not least my teammate (the "therapist") who I'm trying to make sense of first in this situation... Social situations are very hard for me. I feel left out ALL the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment