Friday, August 19, 2011

Charades: Guess what I am? –Wait, I don’t even know.

If there is anything in the world I like to do, it’s definitely team bonding with my field hockey team. I’ve told you before how awesome the team is (including the coaches). Because our team is so close, we do a lot of team bonding. I lose track of conversation a lot of times, but today’s team bonding activity wasn’t JUST a conversation I struggled with:

The seniors on the team have been organizing a team scavenger hunt all around our small town, and today we had it! It was in total 3.5 miles, so we would run to each of the eight stations (which was the workout part). They split us up into groups of 5 (total of 36 girls).  

ANYWAYS, one station got to me. It was Charades…If you don’t know what charades is, it’s where you pick a “card” and have to act out without talking what you’re card says. Well, that was the easy part! Want to know the hard part? –I picked my card, and I didn’t know what it was… My card said, “Barbershop Quartet”. To myself I was thinking, ‘Okay, I know what a barbershop is. It’s a place you get your hair cut at. But what’s a quartet? –Should I just ignore that word and act out Barbershop? I’ll ask the senior (Rachel) running the station I guess…’ By the way, I usually try to avoid asking this in this kind of social environment where there’s a lot of people around. You’ll see why… So, I told Rachel I am having a “brain-fart” to add a little humor and pointed to the word for her to help. This is what she says, “Oh my gosh! Are you serious? Wow, you’re so stupid. That’s the easiest word. Hahaha. I can’t believe it – Okay just pick a new card *giggles* Wow”. While she was saying that I was just adding humor so it wasn’t awkward for me or anyone else. I was saying “Yeah I know haha” and “I’m just not the sharpest tool in the shed, like YOU are” and “Okay, give me an easier card already!” Even though I KNEW it wasn’t because I was stupid, a little chunk inside of me felt like I am (but those are just feelings!).
-----
So here I am giving you a perspective on how hard vocabulary and meanings of words can be for me. There will be many times throughout the day I’ll ask my mom and dad “What does that mean?” I don’t feel too comfortable asking in front of my teammates too much, but I figure I have to get over the “fear” sooner or later. I feel like they think I’m doing it to be funny, but I’m not. I just use humor to cover up the truth and awkwardness. Even when I’m just with one friend it can be awkward. I know what the response will be from them…It will be like Rachel’s response. The “Oh my gosh..” or “Haha, really?” –YES really! I have APD, I’m proud of it, but I also struggle from it (but you don’t know that). One word I don’t understand in a sentence while reading, while my teacher is talking, or anyone speaking to me will throw me off and I will not understand whatever it is they’re talking about. Vocabulary is not a strength for APDers, but if you practice and ask despite a little awkwardness it will only get better!     

4 comments:

  1. Watching that scenario as a parent breaks your heart. I was a smart kid but I don't remember ever being mean to someone who wasn't understanding me or someone who needed help in the classroom. Now my son even makes me think he's "ok" with it. Perhaps he has taken that much "gosh, you are stupid" from his peers that it's like water off a ducks back. Gives you even more of a reason to proove them all wrong!!! Because you can still succeed and YOU know it's even more of a success than someone who get's there without having to work as hard. You will appreciate it more!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks for the heart-warming comment! --Yes, it's so true. It's kind of interesting..I don't think I would work as hard if I understood everything at the same level as my peers do. I'd just be a "normal" kid. But having APD makes me WANT to work 10 X harder, which makes me a stronger person! It's a blessing. But a blessing I've worked my way up to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree with the blanket statement that vocabulary is not a strength of APD kids. I have it, and words/writing are/is my strong point. Me and written words get along very well. haha. :) That realm makes perfect sense. Now, numbers.... numbers are something else. I've struggled with math for as long as I can remember, because problems seem to have so many steps to them that I have trouble keeping up. So, I really think it depends on the person :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, most people with APD either struggle with both (which I do) or struggle with one or the other. When it comes to writing, I do have away with words but don't really put in big words. Verbally, not so much.

    ReplyDelete