Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Getting Down to The Level of Little Kids

There are some people in the world who just don't like or understand little kids. It is kind of a little hurtful when you hear that, don't you think? Those people may not understand how little kids' minds work. They might not realize what they told a little kid is too complex for them to understand. They might not understand that little kids are not quite at the level as adults and teens. Well, if you haven't caught on yet APDers and I are very much those little kids. -- (I am not at all saying people with APD are not mature, and I am not at all saying we are stupid. Studies show people with APD become very mature and are very intelligent!) Sometimes people don't like or understand me or anyone with APD..Now does that sound hurtful?

I am VERY good with children. I haven't ever taken care of a child that had a problem with me, and I've never had a problem with any child. I think MOST APDers will have good experiences with being around children. Here are the reasons why I believe this:

1. I have trouble with wording things that I'm trying to express:
-Do little kids have trouble wording what they want to express? YES.
How is four year old little Johnny going to tell his mom the new game he played in school today? --For a young child, explaining things will not contain a lot of detail. It takes there growing minds a few seconds to remember how to play it.  Similarly, It will take me a moment to think, too. AND I will be very patient with little Johnny explaining the new game because I know it's hard to put things into words.

2. I have trouble understanding sentences that have a lot of detail:
-Do kids understand detailed sentences? NO.
Here is an example how an adult would talk vs. a child...
Adult: I have a strong urge to eat that cookie over there!
Child: I want the cookie
Here, the adult has used 7 more words than the child, included the more complex word "urge", and added extra words that are not necessarily important to the point.
The child on the other hand, used 7 less words than the adult, and got right to the point.

What I'm trying to explain is that it will take me longer to process the Adult's sentence than the Child's sentence. The extra words "strong, urge, to" are JUST being processed by the time the word "cookie" is said. BUT In the Child's sentence "I, want, the, cookie" have been processed more rapidly and is much easier to understand which allows me to understand children speaking and their explanations very well!

3. I can understand little kid communication because there are not many complex words getting in my way:
"I want mommy" "That boy is mean" "Let's go watch a movie" "Don't put dirt in my bucket! Dirt is yucky" There isn't much effort needed to figure out there clever communication. =D

get it and can get down to their level and understand what they are talking about. I get it that it takes them time to figure out how to say things they want to. In return little kids love it!

4 comments:

  1. I'm enjoying reading your blogs Anna.

    Looking forward to more.

    Well Done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking to read them! The more the merrier =D I will for sure have more on the way.
    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have CAPD, too. I love being around little kids for the same reasons! It's like a break from the confusion of the adult world we live in sometimes. It's nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, exactly!!! Haha. It's so relaxing to talk and be around children :-)

    ReplyDelete