Monday, December 17, 2012

A Fun Way to Learn Vocabulary -- Imagine That!

If you’ve ever had an iPhone or iPad, I’m going to guess that the game “Words With Friends” is familiar to you! I think you can play it through Facebook now too. It’s a pretty popular game, and now there is “Hanging With Friends”, and “Scramble With Friends.” It’s not supposed to be an educational game. It’s just supposed to be another app that steals your money and time, and sucks you into the fun. These games do steal your money, and suck you into the fun, but I’ve kind of found also that they are educational. I highly encourage kids that struggle with vocabulary to play them!
----

Let me explain these three games to you. “Hanging With Friends” is essentially Hangman, and you are given 5 balloons that you are hanging from. Each time you don’t guess a word correctly (you’re given only 5 letters that you can get wrong), one of your balloons will pop. The first one to fall loses. “Scramble With Friends” is basically a 4 by 4 grid with random letters, and you have to find words within the grid, and you receive points for different combinations. “Words With Friends” is exactly like scrabble. You get 7 letters, and have to make words off of other words played by your friend playing, and you receive a certain amount of points per turn. Each letter has a different amount of points, and sometimes you can land on a “bonus” part of the playing board and get more points that way.

ANYWAYS. These game have helped my vocabulary. I wasn’t at all expecting to learn new words because my memory tends to quickly forget stuff that I’m not interested in. BUT, since the games “suck me into the fun” I pay attention more because they interest me. I am very competitive, and like winning. I want to know how whomever I am playing against came up with such a funky looking word. So, I study the word and sometimes they are words I have never heard of. I’ll message them and ask “What kind of word is that??” and they tell me, or I’ll just look it up myself. But truthfully I am lazy sometimes and don’t do either of those, but I do ponder upon the word and wonder what it means. What normally happens then is I start to recognize the new funky looking word, and see or hear it in different places. Even though I may not know the meaning of it, seeing and hearing it in different scenarios helps me puzzle together what it may mean by seeing it in different contexts. It helps me recognize new words which is helpful for me! Just recognizing them is a start, and many times I am able to figure out what it means. Cool, huh?
Honestly, learning vocabulary in school is way harder to remember than the word games I play. In school, I am given a lesson of ten words each week, and have to complete a worksheet of the ten words to practice using them. After we are given three lessons, we have a test on it. I know, ew! Not offense English teachers, but I really don’t learn the vocabulary because it’s not fun or interesting to me. Sorry. It’s not you, it’s me :-D. I’ll memorize them for the test, but wouldn’t be able to pass that same test three days after. I’m not saying if you were to quiz me on the words in the word games I play that I would remember all of those, but I am learning and recognizing new words from the game which is pretty cool!
----
These games are fun, but they also have helped me recognize new words and sometimes I am able to puzzle what they mean out after seeing and hearing the same weird words in different scenarios. It’s FUN! Get playing :-D

7 comments:

  1. Did you have any problems as a young child with reading. Our APD son struggles with reading tremendously...any programs or suggestions...he is 8 but reads on a much younger level. He can memorize..sight words etc..but then to read many simple words in a new book that he has not memorized yet...struggles big time. Fluency is hard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I struggled a boat load with reading comprehension. I was in reading recovery all of Elementary school. To this day, comprehension is hard for me. I find one on one tutors to be a big help. Is this something your family can be willing to try? I've had the sam tutor for six years now. I meet with her about once or twice a week (now depending on the work load I have in high school) If I were you, I'd get him comfortable with tutors right away. That is what I can think of. There are reading programs out there like FastForword I believe, but those can be pretty costly. Is APD his only learning difference he has been diagnosed with?

      Delete
  2. Great blog post, This delight is to a great degree so hard and you should continue to think and run they convey thus. This click for more info needs fit and physically man who can partake this preoccupation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good blog post, When you think about the science, you think about the development. Science and social are two one of a kind things and should join site this subject with the sensible way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a good post, When someone gives the match news and did not share the match pictures so best ideas it will hard to take a gander at the vitality of the match. You worked magnificently by sharing these photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great site, The engine of this boat is extreme and speed of this watercraft is so brisk. I am showing marvelous eagerness for this http://www.pharmacypersonalstatement.net/faq-on-how-to-write-a-good-pharmacy-personal-statement/ since it is a remarkable quality boat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the teachers should follow that techniques to teach the student in a fun way. After following that technique students will enjoying studying. For more best service https://www.capstonepaper.net/ visit here.

    ReplyDelete