Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Being Treated Differently Has Benefits!!

Wow, so many people are treated differently... Okay, you probably thought that was a bad thing I just said, didn’t you? Got ya! It’s a good thing! Yes, you may argue bullying is not a good different…That’s true. I’m not talking about bullying. I’m talking about when I’m with my friends trying to understand, in the class room, on the field, and many other places… I WANT to be treated different because I WANT to understand at the same level as everyone else around me.

One thing that has come up a lot is how kids with learning disabilities don’t want to be treated differently in the class room... Why? There’s nothing wrong with learning at a different level. EVERYONE on this world learns at a different pace. There’s not ONE person who is exactly the same as someone else. I have grew to learn that being treated different in the class room HELPS me. I just received a 504 plan for this fall, and WOW it’s a lot of help. I was always very hesitant about leaving the room to take tests, and asking for extended time on school work. Look, if I wasn’t able to leaving the room for tests, or receive extended time on school work I would be a wreck. I wouldn’t be able to concentrate with 30 other bodies in the class room, and I just wouldn’t be able to get things done on time… There’s no way. It’s stressful! I need to be treated differently to be at the same level as everyone around me in the class room. It’s just the way it works, and that’s 100% okay!

You know when there’s a lot of commotion going on and you don’t understand what is happening? Yup, been there done that, every day. I don’t want to just stand there pretending like I understand.

Everyone-*A lot of talking and conversations….I turn and listen in to one conversation*

Me -“Ugh, what are we talking about?? Haha”

Chris- “Don’t worry about it”

Me- “No what????”

Chris- “Haha, it’s no big deal”

Sarah- “Wait what are you talking about?”

Chris- “It’s a long story, haha”

I don’t want to be treated like everyone else here! BECAUSE I struggle 24-7 with following conversations I would much rather be treated differently. For example, during my field hockey practice the other day, my coach was trying to explain a drill. I was totally confused and I said just slightly frustrated “I’m confused”. While he was still talking, my teammate turned to me (and she knows I have APD) and said “I’ll help you in a second”. To me that means SO much that someone my age is going to be patient with me and help me. All it took was for me to be treated different.

------------
So really, when I have to be treated differently like in the situations I explained to you, I’m thankful for it. I’m happy I can have the same level of understanding as my peers around me… It just takes me more steps. Don’t feel ashamed for whatever the extra steps you need to take to get where you want to get. Be glad you are going to get there!

No comments:

Post a Comment